CBD for Sleep: How Does it Work?
Getting an adequate amount of sleep is a vital factor in leading a healthy life. Multiple studies show that millions of people in the UK suffer from some form of sleep-related issue, with around two-thirds of adults saying they suffer from disrupted sleep. As many people who suffer from sleep issues are aware of the importance of sleep for their overall health and wellbeing, they’re turning to various remedies to help regulate their sleep patterns. Taking CBD before bed is becoming an increasingly popular option as it offers a natural alternative to traditional sleep aids.
What factors lead to sleep issues?
There are many common factors that could contribute to an unhealthy sleep schedule, which may cause issues in other areas. These can include:
- Alcohol consumption
- Caffeine consumption
- Lack of exercise
- Lack of work-life balance
- Poorly balanced diet
- Poor sleeping conditions
- Nicotine consumption
- Certain medications
- Travel-related sleep disturbances
Alternatively, there are numerous medical conditions that cause sleep issues. These may occur independently from or in conjunction with the effects of any of the factors listed above.
Some conditions that cause problems with sleep include:
- Sleep Apnea
- REM Sleep Behaviour Disorder
- Restless Leg Syndrome
Understanding the root cause of any sleep-related issues is the first step in finding a long term solution.
How do people use CBD for sleep?
Taking CBD for sleep involves the same process as taking it for any other reason, with the main difference being the timing of the dosage. The most popular ingestion method for this purpose is sublingual CBD oil. To take CBD oil sublingually, place the desired number of drops under the tongue and hold them there for two minutes, before washing them down with water. This allows the CBD to absorb via the thin mucous membranes under the tongue and avoid the digestive system.
When taking CBD for sleep, it’s advisable to do so around an hour before going to bed to give it some time to absorb and take effect. However, everyone’s experience with CBD is different, which means the optimum time for taking CBD for sleep may differ between individuals. If a user typically takes a shorter or longer amount of time to see results from using CBD, they should adjust their dosage timings for sleep accordingly.
For those who are new to CBD, it’s always best to begin with a low dose and build up slowly until the user feels the desired effects. For regular CBD users who want to begin using CBD for sleep, it’s advisable for them to take the same dosage amount at night as they would at other points during the day. If required, these users can then build up until they feel the desired effects for sleep in particular.
What do Simply CBD customers say about using CBD for sleep?
Here are a few reviews from our customers about their experiences with using CBD as a sleep aid:
Sunset CBD Oil: “This product is fantastic. Definitely helps me get good night sleep. I take 4 drops just before bed. Absolutely AMAZING”
Relax Bundle: “I'm very pleased with this bundle. I take the drops about 40 minutes before bedtime and I'm able to drop off to sleep pretty quickly. The length of time asleep has improved since taking this combo and I shall continue with it.”
Liquid Gold CBD Oil: “I use the Gold Oil for myself to help me sleep - I have been using it for years now and really is the best CBD oil I've tried."
What else helps regulate sleep patterns?
There are various lifestyle changes that can supplement the effects of sleep remedies like CBD oil, which many people who suffer from sleep issues could benefit from incorporating into their daily routines. These include:
- Creating a more comfortable sleeping environment
- Reducing caffeine, nicotine, and alcohol consumption - particularly around bedtime
- Reducing food consumption close to bedtime
- Partaking in regular exercise
- Setting a sleep schedule with a regular bedtime
- Practising mindfulness
- Reducing the amount of time spent on electronic devices before bedtime
- Addressing any concerns related to potential medical sleep issues
Is it okay to take CBD oil with sleeping pills?
Some people like to mix different sleep remedies as they feel it gives them the best chance of success. However, there’s limited research on the topic of mixing CBD products with sleeping pills. Current research on mixing CBD with other medications shows that CBD can impact the effectiveness of many medications.
We always recommend leaving a 2-hour gap between CBD and any medications or supplements, and a 4-hour gap for anything that’s contra-indicated with grapefruit. As for sleeping pills, it’s best to speak to a medical professional about mixing them with CBD to ensure that it’s safe to do so.
Here are the important points to remember:
- A healthy sleep schedule is important for overall health and wellbeing.
- Sleep issues are a common problem among UK adults, with around two-thirds suffering from disrupted sleep.
- There are various medical and non-medical factors that can contribute to an unhealthy sleep pattern.
- Many people have begun using CBD products as a sleep aid.
- New CBD users should start with a low dose and build up as necessary to reach their desired effects.
- The CBD dose for sleep for regular users should be based on the user’s prior experience with CBD.
- There are numerous lifestyle changes that can help regulate sleep patterns alongside CBD.
- Users should consult a doctor before mixing CBD products with sleeping pills.